Aim: How do we tell time in Spanish?
Do now: Answer the following questions with the written form of the Spanish number. Look on page 7 for help.
1. What is your house or apartment number?
2. What day (#) is your birthday?
3. How many eggs in a dozen?
4. What number do you dial in an emergency?
5. How many fingers would you have if 2 fall off?
6. How many months in a year?
7. How many people with black shirts today?
8. How many seasons are there?
9. How many kids would you like to have?
10. How many pets have you had?
Numbers from 20 to 100
20. veinte 30. Treinta
21. veintiuno 40. Cuarenta
22. veintidós 50. Cincuenta
23. veintitrés 60. Sesenta
24. veinticuatro 70. Setenta
25. veinticinco 80. Ochenta
26. veintiséis 90. Noventa
27. veintisiete 100. Cien
Que hora es? What time is it?
To say it is 1:00 o’clock in Spanish you say Es la una.
For every other time you say Son las… # in Spanish. For example if it was 4:00, you would say: Son las cuatro.
Minutes can be added to the hour using the word y (and). So 4:05 = Son las cuatro y cinco and 5:30 = Son las cinco y treinta or y media
To say at what time you do something you say a la or a las.
(a la is for 1 o’clock and a las is for everything else)
Example: At what time does school start? A las ocho y veinte.
Answer the following questions using a la or alas + the time.
1. At what time did you wake up?
2. At what time do you go to bed?
3. At what time do you have Spanish?
4. At what time do you have lunch?
5. At what time do we celebrate the new year?