Questions you need to ask yourself about your argument essay
- Does the introduction clearly establishes and explain the essay’s main argument?
2. Is the introduction brief (i.e. a half-page or less in length)?
3. Does the essay provide a precise and credible position?
4. Is your essay grounded in facts?
5. Are you referring to the sources in the reading ?
6. Are you providing an analysis of inferential ideas from the text?
7. Are you using precise language and tone?
8. Are you providing an explanation of the important claims?
9. Did you interpret the author’s purpose?
10. Have you discussed the counter claim?
11. Have you discussed why the counter claim is less convincing?
12. Have you maintained your precise position?
13. Do the supporting paragraphs appear in a logical order that will help readers easily understand your overall argument?
14. Does each supporting paragraph start with a clear topic sentence that announces the paragraph’s main idea?
15. Does that topic sentence idea provide clear support for your essay’s overall thesis?
16. Does each supporting paragraph have enough evidence to support its topic sentence?
17. Are your sentences clear and grammatically correct?
18. Have your conclusion strengthened your argument?