On Saturday, April 13th WHSAD staff members Mr. Codio, Ms. Erneste, and Ms. Jufer competed in the Spartan Race at Citifield. The 3 plus mile olympic course consisted of a variety of obstacles from rowing, to rope climbing, to jersey cans (carrying water jugs up and down stairs). Oh, and lets not forget the many, many burpees.
The burpee, also known as the squat thrust, is a full body exercise used in strength training and as aerobic exercise. It is performed in four steps, and was originally known as a “four-count Burpee”:
- Begin in a standing position.
- Drop into a squat position with your hands on the ground. (count 1)
- Extend your feet back in one quick motion to assume the front plank position. (count 2)
- Return to the squat position in one quick motion. (count 3)
- Return to standing position. (count 4)
Start practicing, the next race will be here before you know it!
Congrats Team WHSAD!